Explore the past times of McGill by starting on the History Page. Or take your historical journey to a specific place on the photo timeline or written archive...
Start on History Page
The McGill Schoolhouse from the southwest in 1911.
Photo donated by Evie Pinneo
From Copper Ore (McGill paper), April 10, 1910
The Welde girls at the McGill Grade School Pageant. Anne as Nevada, Marjorie as Pennsylvania, Stella as Arizona, and Becky looking pretty. Photo taken in front of the tarpaper shack in 1911.
Photo donated by Anne Schroeder
Trains were another important part of McGill. The Northern Nevada Railroad was brought here to move the raw ore from the mine in Ruth at Copper Flats (now Liberty Pit) to the Concentrator Plant at McGill. Photo donated by Nevada State Museum (Ely, Nevada)
Ore trains stacked up in the East Ely yard waiting to go to McGill.
Photo donated by Nevada Northern Railroad Museum
This was one of the first ore trains to run from Copper Flats at Ruth to the mill at McGill on April 15, 1908.
Kennecott employee boarding house in 1910.
Exterior of Kennecott's Converter Building from the Southwest in 1908.
Photo donated to Evie Pinneo from Kennecott Copper Corporation
This is a photo of what was known as tent city. You can see there wasn’t much to downtown. The tents were not much more than canvas shacks.
Photo donated by Nevada State Museum.
In the photo above, you can see the tarpaper shacks and the canvas roof. This was 1907 because the other fifty houses are on the hill in Town Site.
Photo from Anne Schroeder
Children standing on the side wall by the McGill Grade School.
Kennecott's Smelter Operations from the Southwest in 1908.
Kennecott Smelter Fire of 1922.
The YMCA ground breaking for the building was started on September 15, 1910 and finished on June 24, 1911.
Photo donated by the L.D.S Church
Fire of 1922.
This photo is of the shipping time at the McGill-Adams corrals, East Ely, ca. 1920, fall was always an exciting time at the McGill-Adams stockyards, as thousand of head of cattle and sheep were herded on the hoof from all over White Pines County for shipment to market on the Nevada Northern Railroad.
The New Nevada Northern Railroad Station from the Northwest in 1911.
The United States Post Office on the East side of the Lincoln Highway.
Photo donated by Ely State Museum
This is the Copper Club about 1907-1908. Now this building is the U. S. Post Office.
The McGill Dairy, owned by Kennecott Copper, furnished milk products to the residents of McGill in the early days with a team. The dairy stood below McGill near where the swimming pool is now, and the buildings still stand. Among those remembered as working at the dairy are Batiste Piccollo, Jimmy Bell, and a Mr. Williamsen.
White Pine Historical Society - Madeline Fransen Collections Ely Daily Times article donated by Bob Pratt
McGill, Nevada has a history rich with mining, ranching, and good ole family life.
The Big Implosion of 1993
See it Now
Sign in, Manage or Create an account to access features to get involved
Many of the articles and photographs appearing on the history timeline and archive of this website were taken from the book, "McGill, Nevada - Over 100 Years of History", which was published by the McGill Town Council in June 2007. Countless hours were spent by Roxane Ballandby, a McGill Town Council Member, to compile the stories and photographs from members of the White Pine Communities of McGill and the surrounding area that made the first edition. The 400+ page book was edited by Evie Pinneo, White Pine Chamber of Commerce, and Anne Schroeder, McGill Town Council and printed by Silver State Industries.